Emptiness

So why am I still standing here?
Why am I still holding back from You?
You've given me a faith that can move a mountain
but I'm still playing in the sand
building little kingdoms that'll never stand
I hear You call me out into deeper waters
but I settle on the shallow end
I’m so tired of standing here
What if I gave everything to You?

The only place where I can experience a revelation from God is when I reach the point of coming to myself and asking why am I still standing here?
Like the prodigal son, who realises that he is in a pig pen eating the food of animals when the least in his father's house gets better than this. (Lk 15:17-20)
What am I doing?
Chasing the desires of the flesh only outlines the emptiness in a heart, the place where only water from an endless well can fill.
But my heart is not the well, Christ is, and the only way that I am satisfied in Him is if I continue to draw from that everlasting well.
The well of life.

I attended a function that a friend had put together for a good cause. I was so excited to be able to contribute towards it with my presence as well as my funds. I did everything, bought books, had my face painted, tried henna, ate fairy floss, met new people, heard amazing music, etc.
But it didn’t fulfil me. BOING!
Even sitting there as I watched all the goings on around me, I could feel the empty place in my heart. I didn't go there to find fulfilment, but I was able to conciously recognise it in the moment, as I had a new realisation of the fact that this isn’t it.
Maybe a bit of a DUH thing to say, but it's true.
This isn’t Christ.
Look around at what Christ-followers try to fulfil themselves with.
No wonder people are always planning their next high.
Things are never as brilliant as they expect them to be.
And so life is made up of slightly disappointed expectations and then greater expectations for the next thing, hoping to find some sort of peace to rest in.
It’s a stirring agitating restlessness that doesn’t disappear with the next thriller experience.
I’ve seen so-called Christ-followers doing this.
Only their high is whatever they want it to be, classed as "good clean fun", as well as each other, in the name of "fellowship".
Ashamedly, I have done the same things, and I admit that Christ has not always been my obsession, I have made Him an option that I've refused.
Seek the flesh and it will rule you, seek the spirit and you’ll find freedom. 
We are filled with the Holy Spirit.
What we seek is what we are filling our hearts and minds with.
I cannot be Jesus for someone, I cannot expect someone else to be Jesus for me.
Leaning on the Holy Spirit is not leaning on the spirit in someone else, nor the gratification of the flesh.
I can’t fill my life and time with doing things and friends/family things.
They are not my Jesus.
The more I do, the more emphasis is put on the emptiness I find.
Like chasing a mirage; the moment I think I’m satisfied, I discover hot sand in my mouth and I think I see further in the distance - the lake of water I’m expecting to be able to drink, and I keep chasing, chasing, chasing...
Except it’s a lake of fire and I will eventually be drinking death.
WHY ARE WE STILL PLAYING IN THE SAND.
Spirit is life. 
Flesh is death. 
Choose life. 
Seek Christ. 
Not fellowship. Not friends. Not another book. Not a good time. Not a position on a worship team. Not a year long bible app streak. Not leading a connect group. Not the position of a friend mentor. Not all the outwardly behaviour to look like you're conforming to the standard of a "real Christian".
Check heart. Check motivation.
Listening and doing the next right thing, taking time to be who He wants me to be.
It’s every day.
Every moment.
Finding satisfaction in Him.
He is called the Great I AM, not the Great I WAS or the Great I WILL BE.
He is present in all things.
Live like it matters.
When you get to the place of asking yourself that question:

Why am I still standing here?
What if I gave everything to Him?

Trust me, He’ll meet you right there.

What If I Gave Everything

Love You With the Truth

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment